Accelerated Reader is a national program used to assist in the improvement of pupils' reading abilities and their comprehension of what they read. Accelerated Reader provides pupils with thousands of book choices (and quizzes) to meet their individual reading needs. Statistics show that the more a child reads, the higher his/her performance is in all subject areas.
This program uses a computer-based vocabulary test called the STAR test that adjusts while the pupil is taking the test to her/his individual reading level. Pupils complete this initial testing early on in the school year.
Each pupil has been given (or will be given) a Point Goal based on their reading level which they must meet each half term. Please use the instructions below to help you find level appropriate books and take quizzes on those books.
Please note that the goal is for each pupil to score 85% or higher on the Reading Practice quiz. If you score lower than this you may want to consider choosing a book in the lower end of your range.
If you have questions, please see your child’s class teacher or Mrs Rathbone. Another helpful resource is A Parent's Guide to Accelerated Reader.
1. Log on to www.arbookfind.co.uk. If asked, click on who you are and then click Submit.
2. Click the Advanced Search tab.
3. Fill in the Interest Level, Book Level (use your individualized Range your teacher has provided) and any other options you prefer. Or, search for a particular book to see if it falls in your reading range. Click Go.
4. You will be given a large list of book choices.
After reading the book you will take an online comprehension quiz. (This can only be done at school)
1. Log on to https://ukhosted5.renlearn.co.uk/2248169/. (This is St. Mary’s unique site for quiz and test assessments. You may want to Bookmark it.)
2. Click Student.
3. Type in your User Name and Password information and click the Log In button. (See your teacher for user name and password information.)
4. Under the Accelerated Reader tab click Take a Quiz.
5. Choose Take a Reading Practice Quiz.
6. Type in your book information and click Search.
7. Click on your book title.
8. Answer the questions and take your quiz! Note: If you did not receive a score of 70% or above for a Reading Practice quiz you must read another book and take another quiz. You may, however, choose a book from the lower end of your range.
Home Connect for Parents
Home Connect is a fun, easy-to-use web-based interface that allows parents to view their child's progress in Accelerated Reader. Once you've signed on you can click Email Setup to sign up and receive emails showing your student's quiz or test results.
1. Log on to https://Ukhosted5.renlearn.co.uk/2248169/HomeConnect
2. Type in your child's User Name and Password. (See your teacher or child for user name and password information.)